The U.S. government made polygamy illegal in 1862, largely in response to the LDS Church. The church, realizing that support for polygamy was likey preventing Utah’s statehood, outlawed the practice in 1890 and church founder Joseph Smith disavowed the practice in 1904.
When did bigamy become illegal in US?
501) was a federal enactment of the United States Congress that was signed into law on July 1, 1862 by President Abraham Lincoln.
Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act.
|Nicknames||Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act of 1862|
|Enacted by||the 37th United States Congress|
|Effective||July 1, 1862|
|Public law||Pub.L. 37–126|
- When did dueling with weapons become socially unacceptable in the western world?
- Quand la polygamie a-t-elle commencé à devenir illégale ?
- Was it ever illegal for two people of different religions to marry in the UK?
- Did international laws on wars of conquest change in 1945?
- Who turned the (originally) “anti-slavery” GOP into the “pro-business” party?
- Was the secession of the Confederate states illegal?
- When was the last time there were border controls, customs, or border patrols inside what is now the contiguous US?