The U.S. government made polygamy illegal in 1862, largely in response to the LDS Church. The church, realizing that support for polygamy was likey preventing Utah’s statehood, outlawed the practice in 1890 and church founder Joseph Smith disavowed the practice in 1904.
When did bigamy become illegal in US?
501) was a federal enactment of the United States Congress that was signed into law on July 1, 1862 by President Abraham Lincoln.
Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act.
|Nicknames||Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act of 1862|
|Enacted by||the 37th United States Congress|
|Effective||July 1, 1862|
|Public law||Pub.L. 37–126|
- Quand la polygamie a-t-elle commencé à devenir illégale ?
- Is there evidence that Stalin stopped religious persecution during WW2?
- Which country was the first to separate (Christian) Church from state?
- Why didn’t United States replace Mohamad Rezā Shāh with another king during the 1979 revolution?
- When did prostitution become illegal in the United States and why?
- In Francoist Spain, what steps were required for non-Catholics to marry?
- To what extent was the Cold War caused by post World War 2 economics?